a Slip and Fall on Private Property? File a Compensation Case Skip to main content

Slip and Fall on Private Property? Where to File Your Compensation Case

In our daily lives, accidents are common. They can occur when we least expect them or as a result of the negligent property owner when it comes to measures. These accidents can happen anywhere, from shopping centers and restaurants to private residences and office buildings. While they may seem like minor incidents, slips and falls can cause serious injuries and significantly impact a person’s physical, emotional, and financial well-being.

In Florida, some specific laws and regulations govern slip and fall accidents, making it important to understand your legal rights if you have been injured in this type of incident on someone else’s property.

Slip and Fall on Private Properties

Private property owners, in most cases, can be ignorant about those people within their property. A personal injury lawsuit normally works when the negligence of a private property owner causes harm to someone.

Slip and fall accidents can happen to private properties, including restaurants, stadiums, theaters, grocery stores, workplaces, nightclubs, bars, and more.

Filing for Slip and Fall Compensation

When filing a claim, you must prove that the private property owner is responsible for the incident that caused you injuries. You must prove that –

  • There is an owed duty of care toward you
  • The duty of care has been breached (such as failure to maintain, inspect, or repair the property)
  • The breach of duty of care caused your injuries

There are cases when liability in slip and fall accidents could be held against more than one party. For instance, if the accident happened on a commercial property, the case can be complicated, making two parties liable for your injuries, such as the private property owner and commercial lessor. Identifying who is directly and/or partly liable for the accident causing your injuries will help you determine to whom you should file for compensation.

When you get an injury on private property, take the initiative to seek compensation with the help of an injury lawyer in Miami who is adept in Miami personal injury laws involving slip and fall accidents.

How Slip and Fall Attorneys in Florida Can Help

To ensure you win or get the proper compensation, you need an attorney with experience in private property accident laws for your case. The critical element the attorney needs to prove is whether or not your damage is a result of the property owner violating its duty of providing safety measures for employees. Therefore, your injury and the violation must be directly linked.

It is also important to file your claim within four years due to the country’s statute limitation. If not, the court will not hear your case and will not get your compensation.

In Florida’s statute of limitations, a slip and fall accident claim case can be filed within 4 years. Consider contacting a slip and fall attorney to file a compensation claim. Your attorney can help you enforce this claim to shoulder the accident’s damages.

Not all slip and fall accidents on private property always hold property owners or other parties like commercial lessors. If you are also to blame for the accident, there is a tendency that your compensation will likely reduce even if you make a settlement out of court. This is when comparative negligence in Florida applies. Having an attorney on your side can help you recover possible damages even if you are somewhat liable for your injuries from the accident.

If you are injured due to a slip and fall accident, especially on private property, contact Zagury Scott, P.A. We have one of the best slip and fall attorneys in Florida who will help you get the right compensation for your injuries. Call us today at (305) 428-3823 for a consultation.